Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Gardening Adventures...

The snow is nearly gone now and I am desperately waiting for the first signs of spring, a new leaf or budding flowers would be nice to see. The geese are coming back and the bushes in front of the house are packed full of singing and chirping birds. It's getting so nice, you no longer need a goose-down filled jacket, instead I can sling on a lighter jacket and hop on my merry way. The seeds that I have planted are sprouted and a few of the plants are in bigger pots, I think I have a few that won't make it to summer. I knew there would be a couple causalities, as the wilting and yellowing leaves have suffered through lack of sun and drought from careless watering. When will I learn? I can admit I was a little premature in planting my seeds, but I couldn't wait. I anxiously planted and now I am hoping for some good summer weather so I can put my rapidly growing plants out. I will be extremely excited if the beans, cucumbers, and gourds make it to the outdoors. I can keep my fingers crossed and in a couple weeks I will start a new batch of seeds.

I try every year to have a successful garden, and every year it's met with some kind of disappointment. I know last year, I managed to grow a mere 6 tomatoes, the largest maybe the size of a mandarin orange. Okay I was being generous; it was maybe the size of a walnut. Plus I did grow a pepper. I will blame my lack of success on my constant moving and not being able to prepare the soil for growing veggies. This year I want to give it a really good shot...fingers crossed! Wish me luck in my veggie growing adventures.

I do have a secret weapon, it’s a garden gnome that Joey gave to me, he is a little neglected with peeling paint. So I may have to fix him up a little and he might just bring me some growing luck. Who ever heard of an unlucky gnome? Hello? There is none. I even picked up some really cute garden stakes, with dragonflies and butterflies made with marbles.

Update on my Dragon Fruit seeds...they are still growing although I don't think they have actually grew a whole lot bigger than inch. Bonus - they are not dead. Oh and I lied, it doesn't grow into a big 20 foot tree, but rather a climbing cactus of some sort.

No comments:

Post a Comment